Book a School or Library Visit with Rebecca!
Rebecca Behrens’s Presentations:
Rebecca Behrens is the author of the middle-grade novels When Audrey Met Alice and Summer of Lost and Found. She has also worked as a production editor of children’s books at a major publishing house, so she loves talking about the entire process of how a book is created–from messy first drafts to reprints. Her historical short story “Thatagirl!” appeared in the November 2014 issue of Scholastic’s classroom magazine Storyworks and as “Girls Can’t Play” in the January 2015 issue of Scope. Her realistic fiction, “Lost & Found,” appeared in the February 2016 issue of Scope and March 2017 issue of Storyworks. Look for her historical short story “What We Left Behind” from Scope in spring 2017.
She currently offers the following presentations:
- An inspirational and educational talk on a writer’s path to publication, with examples of all the stages of the publishing process (can be adapted to focus on publishing careers)
- A CCSS-friendly discussion of writing historical fiction, with information on her research process
- A writing workshop on strategies for writing real people and places, in the past and present
Rebecca’s presentations and workshops are great for young readers in grades 4-8. She’s also available to speak to high-school students as well as adult groups of teachers, librarians, and parents.
Rebecca’s education and background:
- A decade of editorial and production editorial experience for major trade and textbook publishers
- MA in Comparative Literature, The Graduate Center/City University of New York, NYC
- BA in Psychology and Spanish, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Some recent and upcoming visits, workshops, and Skypes:
- EAGLE School in Madison, WI
- Elm Lawn Elementary in Middleton, WI
- New York Society Library
- St. Francis Academy in Union City, NJ
- The Dwight School in New York, NY
- The Young Women’s Leadership School in New York, NY
- Beck Elementary in Fort Worth, TX
- The Hewitt School in New York, NY
- Reedsburg Public Library
- SCBWI Metro NY Writers Day
Rebecca has also presented at the Wisconsin Library Conference in 2014 and the AASL National Conference in 2015.
Fees: They’re negotiable, but generally range from $200 for one local presentation to $1200 for an out-of-state full-day visit (multiple presentations, lunch, and signing), plus expenses.
Book-club Skype visits!
Rebecca is available for complimentary Skype visits with book clubs (of all ages) that are discussing When Audrey Met Alice or Summer of Lost and Found. Contact her for more information, and check out the book-club discussion guides here and here.